What aspect of God's nature have you experienced? God is so great that we cannot describe Him with just one adjective, and His work is so powerful that we cannot confine Him to a single characteristic. No matter how many years we have, we will never stop learning about God and his multifaceted character. Thinking of this, led me to analyze what parts of God's essence I already know and what parts I still need to know and experience.
Here is a breakdown of some of the names that cover different aspects of God's nature and character:
1. JEHOVAH, YAHWEH- He who will be, is, and was. It is the proper name of God. In the Spanish Bibles, SEÑOR is written in all capital letters to differentiate it from ADONAI, Lord. YHWH/YHVH- I am the self-existent one. God never changes, never fails, and never abandons us. He is always faithful. It is the name of God revealed to Moses. It appears 6,800 times in the Bible.
And God said unto Moses, “I Am That I Am.” And He said, “Thus shalt thou
say unto the children of Israel, "I Am hath sent me unto you." Exodus 3:14.
“Listen, Israel: The Lord our God is the only Lord. Deuteronomy 6:4.
2. ADONAI - The Lord, My great Lord. God is the master and Lord. He is our authority. This term was used to replace YHWH, which they considered too holy to pronounce.
O Adonai, our Lord, how glorious is your name throughout the earth! You
who exalted your majesty above the heavens; Psalm 8:1.
3. ABBA (Father)- Word of Aramaic origin. It means father, daddy, or papa. It was used as an invocation (My Father) addressed to God. It is a more affectionate way of addressing God and indicates a more intimate relationship with Him.
And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into your hearts,
which cries out: Abba, Father! Galatians 4:6.
4. ELOHIM- The Almighty Creator. God is the almighty creator of the universe. God knows everything; He creates all things and is everywhere. It is the plural of Him. For many, the word Elohim is proof of the Trinity. Elohim comes from the verb ALLAH (to swear) and describes someone under a covenant. Elohim is the God who keeps the covenant and remembers us in his love and mercy.
In the beginning, God (Elohim)created heaven and the earth. And the earth
was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. Genesis 1:1-2.
5. EL SHADDAI- The all-sufficient, The God of the mountains, Almighty God. God is the inexhaustible source of